[Rd] package check note: no visible global function definition (in functions using Tcl/Tk)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jun 14 17:14:23 CEST 2007

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007, Seth Falcon wrote:

> Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> It seems that is happens if package tcltk is missing from the Depends:
>> list in the DESCRIPTION file.  I just tested with Amelia and homals and
>> that solved the various warnings in both cases.
>
> Adding tcltk to Depends may not always be the desried solution.  If

But I didn't say it was (I didn't mention a solution at all). What I did
say was that it happened if 'tcltk' was missing (which implies that it
should have been there), and gave two of the tens of instances of this on
CRAN.

You may prefer the version now in R-devel: this goes slightly the other
way in that it loads all the Suggests/Enhances packages and also a dummy
compatibility package for platform differences.  Neither this nor the
previous version can test the conditionalization is correct, as the code
is analysed but no path through it is run.  It is entirely possible that
the problems flagged are in code that can never be reached: this shows up
dramatically in examples such as Hmisc with non-R code (for S3 or S4).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk