[Rd] X11 help please

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Sun Jun 17 22:27:16 CEST 2007

The rgl package currently crashes R when running under Xvfb (the
"virtual frame buffer" server), at least on MacOSX.  It makes sense that
it shouldn't be able to work there (it needs interactivity), but I don't
know how to detect the problems before they cause the crash.

Currently the error happens the first time you try to open an rgl
window; when rgl calls XCreateWindow R crashes with the error message

X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
  Major opcode of failed request:  1 (X_CreateWindow)
  Serial number of failed request:  28

I've checked and as far as I can see all the parameters we're sending to
XCreateWindow are valid, but I might have missed something:  I don't
know much about X11 programming.  (The call is

  ::Window xwindow = XCreateWindow(
    xdisplay, RootWindow(xdisplay, DefaultScreen(xdisplay)),
    0, 0, 256, 256, 0,
    xvisualinfo->depth,
    InputOutput,
    xvisualinfo->visual,
    valuemask,
    &attrib
  );

but without context that's probably not worth much to others.)

Are there any experienced X11 programmers out there who can suggest what
to do next?

Duncan Murdoch