[Rd] putting binary files in a package

Ben Bolker bolker at zoo.ufl.edu
Sat Jun 23 03:02:01 CEST 2007

   I have some binaries I would like to distribute with a package
(I am not the original author; I have the source code but can't distribute
it because it contains _Numerical Recipes_ code.  The long-term
solution is to replace the code with new code written in R, or
in clean C, but in the meantime ...)

   I'm uncertain both where they ought to go and where they
will work (and hoping there is someplace that will satisfy
both).  I had them in the exec/ directory: according to R-exts,

    Subdirectory 'exec' could contain additional executables the
  package needs, typically scripts for interpreters such as the shell,
  Perl, or Tcl. This mechanism is currently used only by a very few
  packages, and still experimental.

I refer to the executables in the code as follows:

  if (is.null(progdir))
    progdir <- file.path(.path.package("cpcbp"),"exec")
  if (is.null(progname))
      progname=paste("phillips-cpc-",.Platform$OS.type,".exe",sep="")

this installs fine on my system, and I believe I have successfully
cross-built the package in the past.  However, when I uploaded to
win-builder.r-project.org, I got

Warning: Impossible to run e:\temp\R-RELE~1\lib\cpcbp\exec2\PHILLI~2.EXE
Warning: cannot open file
'e:/temp/R-release/cpcbp.Rcheck\cpcout7f5579da', reason 'No such file or
directory'

  I tried putting it in inst/exec2 instead (and changing the
directory above), but that doesn't seem to work either.  On my system
(see below), it installs just fine ...

  any ideas?

-----------
 > sessionInfo()
R version 2.5.0 (2007-04-23)
i486-pc-linux-gnu

locale:
LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8;LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8;LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8;LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8;LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8;LC_NAME=C;LC_ADDRESS=C;LC_TELEPHONE=C;LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8;LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

attached base packages:
[1] "stats"     "graphics"  "grDevices" "utils"     "datasets"  "methods"
[7] "base"

other attached packages:
   cpcbp  lattice     MASS
   "0.3" "0.15-8" "7.2-34"