[Rd] "Math" group generics for S4, and a bug

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jun 26 19:38:27 CEST 2007

Remember that you only get S4 dispatch on Math for S4 generics.
log10 is not an S4 generic until you make it one.  From the help page

      Note: currently those members which are not primitive functions
      must have been converted to S4 generic functions (preferably
      _before_ setting an S4 group generic method) as it only sets
      methods for known S4 generics.  This can be done by a call to
      'setGeneric', for example 'setGeneric("round", group="Math2")'.

Had you done that (it is not mentioned)?

>From my notes about S4 issues sent to R core a while back:

1) Setting methods on a group generic only sets methods for existing
    generics, and only primitives are ab initio generic.

    ?setGeneric and ?Arith differ as to how other members should be
    converted into generics (one arg or two), and the example
    (setGeneric("+")) seems pointless as that is already generic.

    Whereas all of Ops (and its subgroups) and Complex are ab initio
    generic, none of Summary is and log, log10, gamma, lgamma, round,
    signif and trunc are not.

    The discrepancies between the S3 and S4 group generics are hard to
    explain: sign, digamma, trigamma and gammaCody are S3 group generic
    but not S4 group generic (and sign is S4 generic).  log10 is S4
    group generic but log2 is not.  This is probably all history, but
    not at all obvious to end users.

so the issue has been raised before.