[Rd] Carriage returns and Sweave output

Ernest Turro ernest.turro at ic.ac.uk
Tue Mar 20 12:53:40 CET 2007

On 20 Mar 2007, at 07:53, Martin Maechler wrote:

>>> the problem with results=hide is that it suppresses everything. I
>>> just
>>> need Sweave to suppress strings ending in '\r'...
>

>     Wolfi> Dear Ernest,
>
>     Wolfi> IMHO it is good practice to make the printing of these
> progress reports
>     Wolfi> ("sweep 4 of 1024\r") optional and produce them only if
> the user calls
>     Wolfi> your function with, say, "verbose=TRUE",
>
> I strongly agree.
>
>     Wolfi> and furthermore set the default value of the
>     Wolfi> 'verbose' argument to "verbose=interactive()".
>
> or -- typically my choice -- to  'verbose = getOption("verbose")
>
> Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich
>
>     Wolfi> Best wishes
>     Wolfi> Wolfgang

I agree that users should be free to choose the level of verbosity.
Here, I want to show the verbose output and print it onto the tex
file using Sweave to give users a good idea of what happens. What I
don't want is countless lines being printed because \r is being
interpreted as \n ...

Thanks,

Ernest