[Rd] -std=c99 and inline semantics

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Mar 21 14:51:56 CET 2007

The answer seems to be simple: add -fgnu89-inline, which will be available
for gcc >= 4.1.3 (not yet released) according to the info files in the
trunk.

BTW, the two OSes I tried the GCC trunk on (FC5 and MinGW) both had
problems of their own with this change of semantics.  AFAICS, wchar.h in
glibc 2.5 (the latest release) still does.  This is going to make for
interesting times when you can choose on a per-compilation-unit (and not
per-header) basis what the 'inline' semantics should be.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk