[Rd] substitute and S4 objects

John Chambers jmc at r-project.org
Sun Mar 25 01:00:01 CET 2007

First, by "doesn't work" you mean the printed output.  The value
returned is the same.

Second, the problem is not a general one with S4 methods but with
primitive functions.  To see this, define a real function with a similar
method:

 > setGeneric("foo", function(e1, e2) standardGeneric("foo"))
[1] "foo"

 > setMethod("foo", "num", function(e1, e2) {
    cat("Computing\n", deparse(substitute(e1)), "+",
deparse(substitute(e2)),
        "\n")
    e1 at x + e2@ x
})

[1] "foo"
 > foo(a,b)
Computing
 a + b
[1] 1.8

The problem with primitives, such as `+`, is that they aren't called in
the way functions are normally called.  If my understanding is correct,
substitute() with one argument uses the "promise" objects corresponding
to the formal arguments in order to extract the unevaluated expression.
There are no such things with primitives.

I think you need to use a different function for whatever you really wanted.