[Rd] zlib+shlib issue with the official EL4 R binary

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Mar 29 17:47:05 CEST 2007

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:

> Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>> On Thu, 29 Mar 2007, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>>
>>> I presume you are talking about RPMs built with --with-system-zlib?
>>>
>>> That's not recommended in the R-admin manual, and perhaps you can persuade
>>> Martyn Plummer not to do it.
>>
>> I've checked, and he no longer does so, sorry.  So there is a zlib inside
>> R, and its entry points will be visible to a packages' .so when R is built
>> as a binary, but not when it is built as a shared library.  In that case it
>> depends on the fine details (including of what you did) whether
>> mypackage.so resolved against R.bin or libz.so in the first two lines of
>> your table.  But it is entirely possible that it links against R.bin in
>> line 2 and libz.so in line 3.
>>
>> If your program is that sensitive to the version of libz I think you should
>> statically link against your own copy (which is R's solution for its own
>> purposes).
>
> Hmm, I have always thought it is the reverse - i.e. when R is built
> with shlib, the internal version of zlib is exposed to packages' so?

My belief is that the systems you are considering support visibility
attributes (but I don't know for sure about EL4 since Redhat versions of
tools do when the standard ones do not).  If so, libR.so does not export
the zlib entry points.

> gzeof() is just for detecting end of file - I don't think it is
> a "sensitive" use of zlib. It is just better to be able to tell when
> read failed, whether one has *actually* reach end of file or not.

sensitive _to a particular bug_  There has been such a bug: see the
comments in gzfile_fgetc and its history.