[Rd] Bridging R to OpenOffice

Leonard Mada lmada at gmx.net
Thu Mar 29 23:41:09 CEST 2007

Hi.

Indeed, there is still some time left before the students get allocated.
Though I would like to have various issues already analysed before the
actual coding starts (me already drawing a tough schedule for the
students ;-) ).

Some projects are OK when you simply start to write code and refine it
later. I often favour such an approach, too.

But I feel this one is much to important for such an approach and there
are surely many issues where clever ideas and solutions would make a
difference.

1. I am still unsure of many of these issues. One involves importing the
data back from R (as Prof. Neuwirth pointed out). Unfortunately OOo Calc
does only have simple data structures (numbers, date, strings and
formulas) and NO complex objects. More complex objects would be helpful
(having various methods, like a summary - what to display in the cell,
and also various built in functions interpreting only some subvalues of
it). I will probably address this issue on the Calc development list
(though this one would be difficult to implement, too).

2. As there is interest in this discussion, should we move back to the
devel-list?

Sincerely,

Leonard