[Rd] sending signals to embedded R

Luke Tierney luke at stat.uiowa.edu
Sat May 5 17:37:09 CEST 2007

On Sat, 5 May 2007, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> On Fri, 4 May 2007, Luke Tierney wrote:

>>> I didn't mean to imply that it does. I'm just new to signals and
>>> things that should be obvious aren't.
>>>
>>> Basically kill(2) seems to be the right thing to use, but I wasn't
>>> sure what the PID needs to be. Turns out sending SIGINT to my GUI from
>>> a shell interrupts R, so raise(SIGINT) should be enough.
>>
>> The tricky bit here is figuring out who does the sending.  It you have
>> a separate thread/process for the GUI and R then that is fine (though
>> may raise other issues).  If it is a single thread then you need your
>> event processing to get an occasional look in to recognise the user
>> action that triggers an interrupt. The Windows version handles this by
>> having R_CheckUserInterrupt() do a limited amount of event processing
>> (you need to be careful in GUI events have R actions associated with
>> them).  I believe the Mac version is similar though it has been a
>
> I was assuming that Deepayan's GUI (which seems to need Qt4, BTW, so I was
> unable to compile it) worked via the R-Unix eventloop, in which case it gets
> some CPU time from time to time.

I was assuming that as well.  But my recollection is that on unix the
event loop is only run from within the console reader.  On Windows
(and Mac OS X I believe) some event processing also happens in
R_CheckUserInterrupt(); on Windows there is also some more in some
blocking library calls, like socket reads as I recall.  But unless
things have changed since I last looked none of that happens on unix.

> gnomeGUI has an interrupt menu item with action 'onintr', which may well be
> what Deepayan is looking for: the only reason that package still exists is to
> provide example code.  (Not that it was ever properly integrated with the R
> event loop.)

It does have some sort of interrupt device (I can't recall if it is a
menu item or a butto and I can't seem to build a working gnomeGUI to
check). And I believe if you try to use that item (or button?) during
a long-running computation you can't because the events won't be
looked at until R gets back to a console read, at which point the
events will be processed and you jump to the top level (where you
already are).

> If the issue is what happens when the user Ctrl-C's in the GUI console, that
> depends on what the GUI toolkit does with keyboard input: if it generates a
> SIGINT this should just work, but otherwise the keyboard handler needs to be
> told to call onintr() one way or another.

Again only if the GUI gets a chance to look at the keyboard input,
which I don't think we currently give it.

The UI provided by a shell running in a separate process may not have
a 'G' but it does have its advantages :-)

Best,

luke

--
Luke Tierney