[Rd] Problem calling $ inside a $ method

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Tue May 8 08:23:46 CEST 2007

Seth Falcon wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I wonder if this will make it through the spam filters given the
> subject line.
>
> I'm seeing the following when trying to call a dollar method inside of
> a dollar method.
>

>     setClass("Foo", representation(d="list"))
>     [1] "Foo"
>
>     f <- new("Foo", d=list(bob=1, alice=2))
>
> ## We can call dollar at this level and it works as expected
>
>     `$`(f, "bo")
>     [1] 1
>
>     `$`(f, "al")
>     [1] 2

`$`(f at d, "bo"), surely.
> ## So set a method on Foo that does this
>
>     setMethod("$", "Foo", function(x, name) `$`(x at d, name))
>     [1] "$"
>
> ## But it doesn't work.  Why?

This has nothing to do with methods, it's $'s nonstandard evaluation
rules that are doing you in. This doesn't work either

 > x <- "al"
 > `$`(f at d, x)
NULL

and the reason is that `$`(a,b) is _exactly_ equivalent to a$b insofar
as auto-quoting the second argument is concerned
>     f$bo
>     NULL
>
>     f$al
>     NULL

...so both of these look for f at d$name which isn't there.
> ## Here is a hackish workaround.
>
>     setMethod("$", "Foo", function(x, name)
>               eval(substitute(x at d$FOO, list(FOO=name))))
>     [1] "$"
>
>     f$bo
>     [1] 1
>
>     f$al
>     [1] 2
>
> Other suggestions for workarounds?  Is this a bug?

Not a bug. Another workaround is to use "[[", but beware that Robert has
evil intentions with respect to that and partial matching...