[Rd] One for the wish list - var.default etc

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Wed May 9 15:28:42 CEST 2007

I agree that wider use of generics in the core of R is desirable as
it facilitates designs in various addon packages that are much easier
to use.  In the absence of generics, the addon package either has to
clobber/mask the version in the core, which really is unacceptable, or define
a different name which adds the mental load of having to remember
yet something else whenever you use that aspect of the package.

filter, as.POSIXlt, rowMeans, rowSums, integrate and various lattice
panel functions are others that I would like to see made
generic for the sake of zoo, fame and/or Ryacas and likely other
packages.