[Rd] RFC: allow packages to advertise vignettes on Windows

Friedrich Leisch friedrich.leisch at stat.uni-muenchen.de
Tue May 15 09:10:57 CEST 2007

>>>>> On Mon, 14 May 2007 20:58:11 -0400,
>>>>> Duncan Murdoch (DM) wrote:

  > [ ... GUI stuff deleted .... ]

I'm of course very much in favor of adding vignettes automatically to
the GUI.

  > By the way, another way to expose vignettes is to have them
  > automatically added to the package help topic, with links in formats
  > that support them.  I think we should do that too, but I don't know if
  > it'll happen soon.

Umm, but there is already information in the package help, e.g., if I
do

	help(package="flexmix")

then the end of the page I get is

Further information is available in the following vignettes in
directory '/home/Leisch/lib/R/flexmix/doc':

flexmix-intro: FlexMix: A General Framework for Finite Mixture Models
        and Latent Class Regression in R} (source, pdf)
regression-examples: Applications of finite mixtures of regression
        models (source, pdf)

They are also linked into the HTML page for the package I get after
help.start().

Obviously one can do more (and the GUI thing is a very good idea,
because Windows users will look there first), but it's not like there
is nothing at all ...

Best,
Fritz