[Rd] optim bug (PR#9684)

Bill Dunlap bill at insightful.com
Tue May 15 18:09:42 CEST 2007

On Tue, 15 May 2007, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> This is not a bug, but as documented on the help page:
>
>       ...: Further arguments to be passed to 'fn' and 'gr'. Beware of
>            partial matching to earlier arguments.
>
> You have partial matching to 'upper'.

We have this problem in optim(), integrate(),
and probably other functions.  These functions
have a lot of arguments before the ..., using
up a lot of partial matching space.  Would you consider
adding another argument to the tail end of
their argument lists that would include the
auxillary arguments?

E.g.,
   optim <- function(par, fn, gr = NULL,
           method = c("Nelder-Mead", "BFGS", "CG", "L-BFGS-B", "SANN"),
           lower = -Inf, upper = Inf,
           control = list(), hessian = FALSE,
           ..., aux.args = list(...))
If the user did not supply aux.args this would
act like the old version.  If the user did supply
aux.args then the function could check that no
unrecognized arguments were given to optim.

optim might require 2 such arguments,
    aux.args.fn = list(...),  aux.args.gr=aux.args.fn
(The forces you to know that the objective function
is called 'fn', not integrate's 'f' or apply's 'FUN'.)
I don't know what the best name for such an argument
would be.  If we added it, it would nice to make it
the same in R and Splus.

> On Mon, 14 May 2007, christina.merz at gmx.de wrote:
>
> 'optim' does not accept arguments called 'u'. Here is an example:
>
> > R> fun<-function(x,u) (x-u)^2
> > R> optim(7,fn=fun,u=9)
> >
> > Fehler in fn(par, ...) : Argument "u" fehlt (ohne Standardwert)
> > Zusätzlich: Warning message:
> > bounds can only be used with method L-BFGS-B in: optim(7, fn = fun, u = 9)

Bill Dunlap
Insightful Corporation
bill at insightful dot com
360-428-8146

 "All statements in this message represent the opinions of the author and do
 not necessarily reflect Insightful Corporation policy or position."