[Rd] optim non-bug

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed May 16 15:32:53 CEST 2007

On Tue, 15 May 2007, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> There quite a lot of these: optimize, uniroot, nlm for example.
>
> I don't think the problem is large enough to merit another argument.
> It is tempting to move '...' up the argument list so that partial matching
> will not occur.  I am not sure how far you can go: ?optim has positional
> matching for 'method', and ?optimize has abbreviations for lower and upper.
>
> In R you rarely need to pass additional arguments in programming as lexical
> scoping can be used to capture them.
>
> I'll do some experimenting.

Overnight runs show that if we do this maximally, only a very few packages
are affected

optim: SoPhy has 'meth', copula has 'hess', MeasurementError.cor (BioC)
   has unnamed 'method'
uniroot: distrDoc has 'low', 'up' in a vignette
optimize: qtlDesign, sde, waveslim have 'max'
nlm: none
integrate: none

Doubtless there are scripts that will be affected (but with an error and a
clearcut error message), but unless I hear cogent reasons otherwise
it seems that the balance is well in favour of making the change.

(I have more than once been tempted to knock up a version of R that does
not allow partial matching of arguments to see what breaks, but a few are
entrenched like 'length.out' and 'along.with' in seq.default and 'all' in
ls.  Seems someone is fond of 'env' in get/exists/assign.)

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk