[Rd] grep with fixed=TRUE and ignore.case=TRUE

Petr Savicky savicky at cs.cas.cz
Thu May 17 11:03:00 CEST 2007

> strncasecmp is not standard C (not even C99), but R does have a substitute
> for it.  Unfortunately strncasecmp is not usable with multibyte charsets:
> Linux systems have wcsncasecmp but that is not portable.  In these days of
> widespread use of UTF-8 that is a blocking issue, I am afraid.

What could help are the functions mbrtowc and towctrans and simple
long integer comparison. Are the functions mbrtowc and towctrans
available under Windows? mbrtowc seems to be available as Rmbrtowc
in src/gnuwin32/extra.c.

I did not find towctrans defined in R sources, but it is in gnuwin32/Rdll.hide
and used in do_tolower. Does this mean that tolower is not usable
with utf-8 under Windows?

> In the case of grep I think all you need is
>
> grep(tolower(pattern), tolower(x), fixed = TRUE)
>
> and similarly for regexpr.

Yes. this is correct, but it has disadvantages. It needs more
space and, if value=TRUE, we would have to do something like
   x[grep(tolower(pattern), tolower(x), fixed = TRUE, value=FALSE)]
This is hard to implement in src/library/base/R/grep.R,
where the call to .Internal(grep(pattern,...)) is the last command
and I think this should be preserved.

> >Ignore case option is not meaningfull in gsub.
>
> sub("abc", "123", c("ABCD", "abcd"), ignore.case=TRUE)
>
> is different from 'ignore.case=FALSE', and I see the meaning as clear.
> So what did you mean?  (Unfortunately the tolower trick does not work for
> [g]sub.)

The meaning of ignore.case in [g]sub is problematic due to the following.
  sub("abc", "xyz", c("ABCD", "abcd"), ignore.case=TRUE)
produces
  [1] "xyzD" "xyzd"
but the user may in fact need the following
  [1] "XYZD" "xyzd"

It is correct that "xyzD" "xyzd" is produced, but the user
should be aware of the fact that several substitutions like
  x <- sub("abc", "xyz", c("ABCD", "abcd"))   # ignore.case=FALSE
  sub("ABC", "XYZ", x)  # ignore.case=FALSE
may be more useful.

I have another question concerning the speed of grep. I expected that
fgrep_one function is slower than calling a library routine
for regular expressions. In particular, if the pattern has a lot of
long partial matches in the target string, I expected that it may be much
slower. A short example is
  y <- "aaaaaaaaab"
  x <- "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaab"
  grep(y,x)
which requires 110 comparisons (10 comparisons for each of 11 possible
beginnings of y in x). In general, the complexity in the worst case is
O(m*n), where m,n are the lengths of y,x resp. I would expect that
the library function for matching regular expressions needs
time O(m+n) and so will be faster. However, the result obtained
on a larger example is

  > x1 <- paste(c(rep("a", times = 1000), "b"), collapse = "")
  > x2 <- paste(c("b", rep("a", times = 1000)), collapse = "")
  > y <- paste(c(rep("a", times = 10000), x2), collapse = "")
  > z <- rep(y, times = 100)

  > system.time(i <- grep(x1, z, fixed = T))
  [1] 1.970 0.000 1.985 0.000 0.000

  > system.time(i <- grep(x1, z, fixed = F))   # reg. expr. surprisingly slow (*)
  [1] 40.374  0.003 40.381  0.000  0.000

  > system.time(i <- grep(x2, z, fixed = T))
  [1] 0.113 0.000 0.113 0.000 0.000

  > system.time(i <- grep(x2, z, fixed = F))  # reg. expr. faster than fgrep_one
  [1] 0.019 0.000 0.019 0.000 0.000

Do you have an explanation of these results, in particular (*)?

Petr.