[Rd] Unexpected alteration of data frame column names

hpages at fhcrc.org hpages at fhcrc.org
Fri May 18 04:34:16 CEST 2007

Hi,

Thanks to both for your answers!

Quoting Marc Schwartz <marc_schwartz at comcast.net>:

> On Thu, 2007-05-17 at 10:54 +0100, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> > To add to Marc's detective work. ?"[.data.frame" does say
> >
> >       If '[' returns a data frame it will have unique (and non-missing)
> >       row names, if necessary transforming the row names using
> >       'make.unique'.  Similarly, column names will be transformed (if
> >       columns are selected more than once).
> >
> > Now, an 'e.g.' in the parenthetical remark might make this clearer (since
> > added), but I don't see why this was 'unexpected' (or why this is an issue

It all depends whether you care about consistency or not. Personnally
I do. Yes documenting inconsistencies is better than nothing but is not
always enough to make the language predictable (see below).

So, according to ?"[.data.frame", column names will be transformed (if
columns are selected more than once). OK.

Personnally, I can see ony 2 reasonable semantics for 'df[ ]' or 'df[ , ]':

  (1) either it makes an exact copy of your data frame (and this is not
      only true for data frames: unless documented otherwise one can
      expect x[] to be the same as x),

  (2) either you consider that it is equivalent to 'df[names(df)]' for
      the former and to 'df[ , names(df)]' for the latter.

So it seems that for 'df[ ]', we have semantic (1):

> df=data.frame(aa=LETTERS[1:3],bb=3:5,aa=7:5,check.names=FALSE)

> df
  aa bb aa
1  A  3  7
2  B  4  6
3  C  5  5

> df[]
  aa bb aa
1  A  3  7
2  B  4  6
3  C  5  5

Since we have duplicated colnames, 'df[names(df)]' will select
the first column twice and rename it (as documented):

> df[names(df)]
  aa bb aa.1
1  A  3    A
2  B  4    B
3  C  5    C

Good!

Now with 'df[ , ]', I still maintain that this is unexpected:

> df[ , ]
  aa bb aa.1
1  A  3    7
2  B  4    6
3  C  5    5

This is a mix of semantic (1) and semantic (2): 3rd column has been renamed
but its data are the _original_ data. With semantic (2), you would get this:

> df[ , names(df)]
  aa bb aa.1
1  A  3    A
2  B  4    B
3  C  5    C

Also the fact that 'df[something]' doesn't behave like 'df[,something]'
is IMHO another inconsistency...

Hope you don't mind if I put this back on R-devel which is probably
the right place to discuss the language semantic.

Cheers,
H.