[Rd] Passing R CMD Check without data

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Tue May 22 02:10:37 CEST 2007

"Arjun Ravi Narayan" <contact at arjunnarayan.com> writes:

> I have a package which passes R CMD check with the --no-vignettes option.
> However, it does not pass the check without that, as the vignette relies on
> some data files that I cannot distribute. However, I would like the package
> to pass the check so that I can put it on CRAN, so that other people with
> access to the dataset can put the data into the package, and then rebuild
> the vignettes themselves.

I would recommend having a separate vignette that uses toy data, if
that is all that is available, that demonstrates the basic use of
the package.  A consider part of the value of a package vignette,
IMHO, is having something that (i) the user can run interactively on
their own, and (ii) can be automatically checked.

Your current vignette can be included as pdf (the Rnw could live in
another place under inst/).

You might also look at the vsn package in Bioconductor which uses a
Makefile to avoid R CMD check from building its vignette because it is
too time consuming...

+ seth

--
Seth Falcon | Computational Biology | Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
http://bioconductor.org