[Rd] relist, an inverse operator to unlist

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Wed May 23 01:36:56 CEST 2007

One additional idea.

I wonder if reshape might be promoted to a generic and relist made
into methods for it.  The unlisted version of an object would be the "long"
version and the original version of the list would be the "wide" version.

This would consolidate the two concepts together and make it
easier to use since the user could leverage his knowledge of
how reshape works to lists where it would work analogously.

Essentially reshape(myList, direction = "long") would be
similar to unlist but would add the attributes need to reverse
the procedure and reshape(myList, direction = "wide")
would perform the inversion.

I am not sure if the reshape package has any bearing here
as well.