[Rd] is.finite confusion

Vladimir Dergachev vdergachev at rcgardis.com
Wed May 23 22:01:26 CEST 2007

On Wednesday 23 May 2007 1:29 pm, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> No, because it is carefully documented to do this, and people rely on it
> working as documented.  (Did you do the homework the posting guide asked
> for?)  What harm came out of learning that the values were not finite?

I read the manpage if that is what you are talking about.

The particular thing I was attempting to do is to convert all entries that are
not values to NULL before storing the result in the database. From my point
of view string value was perfectly finite and my code worked with a
data.frame I had because it happened to have factors in it.

Yes, I easily concede that since I know about it now I am not likely to make
the same mistake again. Just was trying (politely) to be of help to other
users.

                             best

                                 Vladimir Dergachev