[Rd] Problem building R from source on Windows

Jonathan Swinton jonathan at swintons.net
Thu May 31 19:16:10 CEST 2007

I have a problem when building R from source on Windows XP.

When I get to 3.1.3 of the Installation and Administration manual and try
 make all recommended
from R_HOME it fails with
 make: *** No rule to make target `all'.  Stop.

I am pretty sure there is an obvious and well documented thing I am missing,
but missing it I am. Any clues?

Is my problem that I have a Makefile.in but not a Makefile? Have I understood
section 3.1.3 correctly that no ./configure step is needed? Although my reading
of the I&A manual is that no ./configure step is needed under Windows, I did
wonder and tried running
 sh ./configure
but that failed with
 chmod: not found
 chmod: not found
 chmod: not found
 configure: error: cannot create configure.lineno; rerun with a POSIX shell

make is GNU make 3.79.1; I don't know how to identify which sh it is but it is
the one in the Rtools\bin directory.

I having downloaded all the tools listed in Appendix E (save InnoSetup) and
installed them and set my path to be:

PATH=c:\Rtools\bin;C:\Perl\bin\;c:\Rtools\MinGW\bin;c:\progra~1\htmhe~1;C:\Progr
am Files\MiKTeX 2.6\miktex\bin;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System3
2\Wbem;C:\Program Files\Subversion\bin