[Rd] Cell or PS3 Port

Ed Knutson ed at sixfoursystems.com
Fri Nov 2 17:51:41 CET 2007

The main core of the Cell (the PPE) uses IBM's version of hyperthreading
to expose two logical, main CPU's to the OS, so code that is "simply"
multi-threaded should still see an advantage.  In addition, IBM provides
an SDK which includes workflow management as well as libraries to
support common linear algebra and other math functions on the
sub-processors (called SPE's).  They also provide an interface to a
hardware RNG as well as 3 software types (2 psuedo, 1 quasi) that are
coded for the SPE.

Each SPE has its own small, local memory store and communicates with
main memory using a DMA queue.  It seems to be a question of breaking up
each task into units that are small enough to offload to an SPE.  My
initial direction will be to set up a rudimentary workflow manager.  As
an optimized function is encountered, a sufficient number of SPE threads
will be spawned and execution of the main thread will wait for all
results.  As for the optimized functions, I intend to start with the
ones who already have an analogous implementation in the IBM math libraries.

MPI has been employed by some Cell developers to allow multiple SPE's
working on sections of the same task to communicate with each other.  I
like the idea of this approach, since it lays the groundwork to allow
multiple Cell (or really any) processors to be clustered.