[Rd] Hmisc for Mac OSX.

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Nov 6 14:32:51 CET 2007

Rolf,

On Nov 5, 2007, at 4:59 PM, Rolf Turner wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is the right target to which to direct this
> post, but I couldn't think of anything more appropriate.

R-SIG-Mac, but preferably *after* you read the documentation.

> I just downloaded the Hmisc package to the Imac that I use.  When
> I  attempted
> to load it I got an error to the effect that it could not load
> the   library:
>
> /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.5/Resources/lib/
> libgfortran.2.dylib
>
> Note the ``2.5'' in the foregoing path name;

You are using the wrong package. It is highly likely that you're
using custom lib path which contains old packages from your previous
R version (see .libPaths). Please make sure you either use the
default setup or if using custom setup you clean up your old packages
(of install new ones in the right place).

> I am currently running  2.6.0, and I suspect that this is the
> problem --- i.e. the Mac binary on CRAN  was built under 2.5.x and
> this does not work with 2.6.y.

Hmisc binary for R 2.5.x was built under R 2.5.1. Hmisc binary for R
2.6.0 was built under 2.6.0 - that's why there are separate
directories for each R version.

> I note that the source and Windoze Hmisc packages are designated
> as  3.4-3, but the Mac package is designated as 3.4-2 which would
> appear to imply that it's a step behind.

I'm not quite sure I follow you,
 > available.packages()["Hmisc",]
                                                       Package
                                                       "Hmisc"