[Rd] Saving Graphics File as .ps or .pdf (PR#10403)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Nov 6 17:41:53 CET 2007

On Tue, 6 Nov 2007, Simone Giannerini wrote:

> I looked at the list of bug fixes before writing and I found that the
> only thing close to it is this
>
> o	postscript() was not always ignoring .Postscript.Options in
> 	the workspace (where it should not have occurred).
>
> but I must admit I did not understand whether it had anything to do
> with this bug report.

It occurs on Windows only, and the src/gnuwin32/CHANGES file says

BUG FIXES

     o   Saving a plot to Postscript or PDF required the font database
         to have been initialized: this is now done if necessary.

See also

https://mailman.stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2007-October/142414.html

(over a month ago).

> Thanks
>
> Simone
>
> On 11/6/07, Uwe Ligges <ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de> wrote:
>> This has been reported several times before and has been fixed in
>> R-patched some weeks ago.
>>
>> Uwe Ligges
>>

>> Jane_Harvill at Baylor.Edu wrote:
>>> Full_Name: Jane L. Harvill
>>> Version: 2.6.0
>>> OS: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Version 2002, Service Pack 2
>>> Submission from: (NULL) (129.62.21.93)
>>>

>>> PROBLEM: The ability to save the contents of an R Graphics window as a
>>> postscript or PDf file through the drop-down menu (File -> Save As ->
>>> Postscript, or File -> Save As -> PDF) results in the error message below being
>>> printed to the R Console.
>>>
>>> ERROR MESSAGE:
>>> Error: Invalid font type
>>> In addition: Warning messages:
>>> 1: font family not found in PostScript font database
>>> 2: font family not found in PostScript font database
>>>
>>> TO RECREATE THE PROBLEM:
>>> 1.  Using the R Console, create some graph in R; for example, plot(rnorm(100)).
>>> 2.  Select File -> Save As -> PostScript  (or File -> Save As -> PDF).