[Rd] C/C++ 'assert' should not be used in R packages

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Sat Nov 10 23:38:03 CET 2007

On 10/11/2007 4:27 PM, Simon Urbanek wrote:
> On Nov 10, 2007, at 1:05 PM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

>>> I am not sure why you think we need to discard the DLL.
>> The package author has asserted that it is no longer safe to run.
>> They are shutting down R, and Brian finds that too extreme.
>>

> Me too. A package should never intentionally close the R session. If
> it does, it is a very severe design bug in the package (IMHO).
> Anything you use assert for can be gracefully handled (as opposed to
> let's say a segfault), so there is no excuse for killing the whole
> process at all (deliberately wiping all user's work is rude to put it
> mildly). Even if it might be unsafe to run anything, I'd still want
> to attempt to save my data.

Perhaps I use assert() differently than you, but the way I use it is to
assert assumptions that I believe will always be true.

If one of those assertions fails, it means that my program is operating
in a way that I did not foresee.  I can't recover gracefully from that,
because at that point my basic assumptions about the program have been
proven to be incorrect.  I have no basis for reasoning.  It is by
definition a bug.

Now, it's possible that this bug has corrupted R and it really would be
best for the user to discard all his work, but I agree that's unlikely.
  That's why I proposed that R should offer a way to handle an assertion
failure that limits the shutdown to just my package.

I don't offer a guarantee that my work won't corrupt a user's data, but
I do work hard to avoid that.  Allowing my package to tell the user that
it is now unsafe to use is one way to do so.  That's what assert() is for.

In a standalone program, an (uncaught) assertion failure will cause the
RTL to shut down the process.  I think R should support a version of
that, but limit the shutdown to the package that has failed.   The
version of assert() that I put together for rgl this morning doesn't
attempt to shut down rgl, because that's really something that R should
be responsible for.  All it does is issue a dire warning to the user.

Offline, Brian mentioned that some packages use assert() for input
validation.  That's an incorrect use of it, and those packages should
use error(), as Brian suggested.

Duncan Murdoch