[Rd] When to use LazyLoad, LazyData and ZipData?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Nov 14 13:58:47 CET 2007

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007, Bjørn-Helge Mevik wrote:

> Dear developeRs,
>
> I've searched the documentation, FAQ, and mailing lists, but haven't
> found the answer(*) to the following:
>
> When should one specify LazyLoad, LazyData, and ZipData?

Preferably always, and I would suggest all should be 'yes' if your package
will work with them.

> And what is the default if they are left unspecified?

It varies by R version and platform.  But as a guide

LazyLoad: yes for all but small packages (those with less than
   25Kb of R code)
LazyData: no
ZipData: yes on Windows if there is more than 100Kb of data and no
   duplicate namestems (e.g. foo.R and foo.tab).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk