[Rd] package installation order

Kuhn, Max Max.Kuhn at pfizer.com
Wed Nov 14 15:34:13 CET 2007

I have roughly 80 or so packages sources. These were obtained by taking
a snapshot of certain CRAN packages a few months ago using

   install.packages(
      pkgs = pckNames,
      destdir = "/home/max",
      repos = "http://cran.r-project.org"
      dependencies = c("Depends", "Imports", "Suggests"))

We need to install these versions of the packages across a few different
architectures/systems (linux, solaris, 32- and 64-bit). Right now, we
are constrained to version 2.5.1 (I know, I know).

Right now, I'd use

   tarList <- list.files()
   tarList <- grep(".tar.gz", tarList, fixed = TRUE, value = TRUE)
   install.packages (tarList, repos = NULL)

to install, but the package dependencies are ignored. For example, XML
gets installed after other packages that depend on it.

I've looked through ?install.packages and I have tried using

   install.packages (
      tarList, repos = NULL,
      dependencies = c("Depends", "Imports", "Suggests"))

but this did not appear to change the install ordering.

Is there a simpler way to do this rather than trial and error?

Thanks,

Max

> sessionInfo()
R version 2.5.1 (2007-06-27)
i686-pc-linux-gnu

locale:

attached base packages:
[1] "stats"     "graphics"  "grDevices" "utils"     "datasets"
"methods"
[7] "base"