[Rd] Nested SEXP functions

Oleg Sklyar osklyar at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Nov 16 00:53:53 CET 2007

You assume that when you call any of those functions its arguments are
protected (as it is the case when the function is called from within R).
However, I do not see why they would be if you do not do it explicitly.
Therefore, it is very likely that a result of one function, used in turn
in a call to the other one, is garbage collected on the way and what you
get can be totally wrong. The more R API calls you have within each of
those functions, the more likely it is that the unprotected argument is
garbage collected as the events are triggered within some of those
calls.

One should be very careful about protecting things in .Call interface.
Now here is what I mean in a coding example:

## R CODE #####
z1 = .Call("interfaceCFun1", as.numeric(x)) # OK
z2 = .Call("interfaceCFun12", as.numeric(x)) # Can be !OK

SEXP f1(SEXP);

// C code
SEXP interfaceCFun(SEXP x) {
  / /x is protected, so it prints smth and returns new var to R
  return f1(x);
}
SEXP interfaceCFun2(SEXP x) {
  // for first call to f1 it prints smth of x and returns new var
  // to the second call, however in the second call the argument is no
  // more x, it is no more protected and can be released by GC, so it is
  // no clear what it is going to print there!
  return f1(f1(x));

  // this would be correct:
  SEXP y;
  PROTECT(y=f1(x));
  // now when we print in the following function we have memory
protected
  y = f1(y)
  UNPROTECT(1);
  return y;
}

SEXP f1(SEXP x) {
  Rprintf("\n"); // can possibly trigger garbage collector
  Rprintf(REAL(x)[0]);
  return allocVector(REALSXP,2);
}

Best,