[Rd] R CMD check in Windows

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Mon Nov 19 16:50:06 CET 2007

On 11/19/2007 10:37 AM, Fernando Miguez wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> R CMD check does not work for me under Windows. This is the error
>
> R CMD check mypackage.tar.gz
> * checking for working latex ... OK
> tar: and: Not found in archive
> tar: Settings/miguez/ ... /00_pkg_src: Not found in archive
> Error: cannot untar mypackage.tar.gz
>
> I know tar is available because R CMD build created the tarball in the
> first place and man tar works.
>
> I'm mostly working in Linux but if I can fix this it would be nice. Ok
> now I'm thinking that I might have an old version of perl installed and
> this might be the problem. Any suggestions/explanations are welcome.

Old/bad versions of some utility are the likely cause.  The Rtools
collection contains a custom version of tar; if your PATH is finding a
different one first, that could be the trouble.

Take a look at the "Windows Toolset" section of the admin manual, and
make sure you follow the instructions about path order (and the rest, too).

It is possible to use a different PATH than the one in the manual, but
there are many more choices that fail than there are that succeed.

Duncan Murdoch