[Rd] boxplot() confuses x- and y-axes (PR#10345)

maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Oct 15 18:25:41 CEST 2007

    ms> On Mon, 2007-10-15 at 10:30 +0200, bob.ohara at helsinki.fi wrote:
> [...]
    ms> Hi Bob,

    ms> No, it's not in your head. This is documented in ?bxp, which is the
    ms> function that actually does the plotting for boxplot(). See the
    ms> description of 'pars' in ?bxp:

    ms> "Currently, yaxs and ylim are used â€ËÂœalong the boxplot’, i.e.,
    ms> vertically, when horizontal is false, and xlim horizontally."

    ms> So essentially, the named 'x' and 'y' axes are rotated 90 degrees when
    ms> you use 'horizontal = TRUE', rather than the vertical axis always being
    ms> 'y' and the horizontal axis always being 'x'. This has been discussed on
    ms> the lists previously.

    >> Yes; thank you, Marc.
    >>
    >> And the reason for this is very sensible I think:
    >>
    >> If you have a longish  boxplot()  or  bxp() command,
    >> and you just want to go from vertical to horizontal or vice
    >> versa, it makes most sense just to have to change the
    >> 'horizontal' flag and not having to see if there are other 'x*'
    >> and or 'y*' arguments that all need to be changed as well.
    >>
    JO> Except that you must change xaxt/yaxt and log="x"/log="y" which do not
    JO> follow the "along the box" logic, and behave differently than
    JO> xlim/ylim.

    JO> Nothing of this is fatal, but this probably needs more than one
    JO> iteration to find which way each of the x* and y* arguments works.

Oops!!    Thank you Jari, for the note.

What you describe is then very unfortunate, and I hadn't been
aware of that.

``of course'', making any change to consistency
would break existing code that consciously works with the
current mis-"designed" behavior.

But now I understand why we have the word  "currently"
in the description mentioned above.

So given the help file, we should consider dropping the whole
``along the boxplot'' idea?

{{well, yes, we should drop "traditional graphics" and work with
  grid-based graphical objects ("grob"s) that can be drawn
  vertically or horizontally,
  e.g., in lattice or (most probably) ggplot2
}}

Martin