[Rd] Underlying representation for rownames

hadley wickham h.wickham at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 19:16:00 CEST 2007

Is it possible to get at the underlying representation of row names -
ie. what you see in the output from dput:

> df <- data.frame(1:4)
> dput(df)
structure(list(X1.4 = 1:4), .Names = "X1.4", row.names = c(NA,
-4L), class = "data.frame")

I would like to be able to tell if a data frame has the default row
names, or if they have been changed by the user.  I need this for
rggobi because in GGobi row names should be unique across all data
frames, unless explicitly set by the user.

Thanks,

Hadley

--
http://had.co.nz/