[Rd] Sweave/ESS-like tools for HTML

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Fri Oct 19 16:35:14 CEST 2007

On 10/18/07, Ben Bolker <bolker at ufl.edu> wrote:

> Tom Short-2 wrote:

> > See this link for more on creating/converting to HTML:

> > http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/twiki/bin/view/Main/SweaveConvert

> > For using ESS with mixed HTML/R files, see this:

> > https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/ess-help/2006-December/003826.html

>  A couple of other bits of information:
> (1) I started writing a LaTeX-to-Rwiki translator,
> anyone who wants to try it should contact me.
> (It sounds, though, as though the wiki that Doug
> Bates is going to use accepts HTML rather than
> the Rwiki format?

> (2) I have trouble getting through to Ian Hutchinson's
> web site to get tth.  If you do get there, check out
> ttm (TeX-to-MathML) as well.

I found the links that Tom sent to be very helpful and did install
both the tth and  tex4ht Debian packages.

Both approaches are interesting but there are some inherent
limitations to HTML and the course management system that are
difficult to overcome.  I haven't found a way to include an expression
like $\bar{x}$ without resorting to images and the course management
system goes to great lengths to hide the file hierarchy so including
an image in part of the wiki is difficult.

Perhaps it is better if I create stand-alone PDF documents but then
linking becomes difficult.