[Rd] Use of all/any

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Fri Oct 26 18:33:12 CEST 2007

On 10/26/2007 12:18 PM, Martin Maechler wrote:

>     BDR> all/any coerce their arguments to logical (if
>     BDR> possible).  I've added a warning in R-devel if coercion
>     BDR> is from something other than integer.
>
>     BDR> This arose because it is easy to make a slip and write
>     BDR> all(X) > 0 rather than all(X > 0): thanks to Bill
>     BDR> Dunlap for bringing that to my attention.
>

>     BDR> However, it has been useful in detecting quite a few other things:
>
>     BDR> - indices which had been made double where integer was
>     BDR> intended. One example from predict.lm was
>
>     BDR>                  iipiv[ii == 0] <- 0
>
>     BDR> which was intended to be
>
>     BDR>                  iipiv[ii == 0L] <- 0L
>
> Hmm....  Do we really want to generate warnings for such small
> inefficiencies?
> I'm very happy that we've introduced   <n>L integer notation, and
> as a subtle programmer, I'm making use of it gladly --- but
> still not always, just for code beauty reasons ("0" reads better).
>
> On the other hand, I don't think the casual R / S programmer
> should get warnings; after all, S and R  are not C on purpose.
>
> Apropos Bill Dunlap's note:  Do newer versions of S-plus warn?
> At least up to 6.2.2, I'm pretty sure no S version has warned
> about
> 	X <- c(0.1, pi)
> 	all(X) > 0.5

I don't know whether S warns about that, but isn't it clear that it
should generate a warning?  That's almost certainly a typo for

  all(X > 0.5)

If someone really wanted to do what all(X) > 0.5 says, then they should
code it clearly as

  all(X != 0)

and not try to win an obfuscated code contest by coding it in the
original way.

Duncan Murdoch