[Rd] slow tcl/tk

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Wed Oct 31 16:12:57 CET 2007

Dear Peter,

It's possible that I'm missing something, but I don't think that there have
been recent changes to the Rcmdr that would account for this difference (and
note that I don't see it under Windows). In particular, I think that the
change coincided with R-2.6.0 (which seems to be Adrian's experience too).

> There's certainly a lot of
> eval(parse(...)) stuff going on. (This sort of code always
> makes me a little suspicious, but I haven't by far studied it
> well enough to say whether there might be a more efficient way.)

The awkward eval-parses have always been there. There's probably a better
way to do at least some of this, but I haven't been able to think of it.

Regards,
 John