[Rd] Windows Vista Issues

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Thu Sep 6 09:25:30 CEST 2007

Dominick Samperi wrote:
> Uwe Ligges wrote:
>> There is not a single R-Vista issue here (and no R issue at all). All
>> are problems of the user who has not read Windows Vista documentation.
>> Uwe Ligges

> Oh, and this probably explains why my previous two postings mysteriously
> disappeared.

I do not know if Windows Vista eats e-mails. At least I do not...

> I took the time to post this message for the benefit of readers of this
> group.

Thank you for *all* your contributions! Unfortunately this message was
wrong, because everything works fine with recent versions of R, as far
as we know. And all reports on Vista issues I received before were
reproducible - bust just when omitting important settings under Windows
Vista, such as starting with wrong privileges. Thanks to Brian Ripley
and Duncan Murdoch all known facts are documented in the R for Windows
FAQs and the "R Installation and Administration manual". Please note
that we (this means particularly Brian Ripley and Duncan Murdoch) have
tested, checked and fixed things in order to make R work smoothly under
Windows Vista. Hence it is inappropriate to say that R does not work as
intended on that platform without giving an example.

> Can you please tell me how I can remove R software packages that I
> previously contributed from your archives?

Sure, please send an e-mail to CRAN at R-Project.org and Kurt will remove
them. Or if you just want to remove Windows versions, I will do so. In
that case, I can clean up even more things for which I spend several
hours to set them up for you and the users of your packages.

But before asking to remove your packages please note that all I wrote
are personal opinions, not CRAN opinions (hey, I need to write a
disclaimer below my messages, obviously ;-)) and I did not want to
insult anybody. If I did so, my apologies.

Uwe Ligges