[Rd] Rcmd install on Vista

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 09:12:20 CEST 2007

I finally got R CMD install and R CMD check working on Vista:

1. put both R and the package source in the %userprofile% tree, i.e.
in C:\Users\yourName or below.  During installation setup of R the
Select Destination Location screen lets you specify this.

2. The environment variable tmpdir should be set as follows:
set tempdir=%temp%
in the Windows console prior to the R session.  If you forget this
there will be a latex error.

3. hhc.exe must be there on XP but it must NOT be there on Vista.
If it is you get very annoying popups although it finally does run.
  where hhc.exe
from the Windows console will search for it.  It should NOT be
present.  However, MiKTeX and Rtools should be installed.