[Rd] installing packages (PR#9907)

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Wed Sep 12 22:50:16 CEST 2007

alexander.jerneck at gmail.com wrote:
> Full_Name: Alexander Jerneck
> Version: 2.4.0 (2006-10-03)
> OS: Gentoo (2.6.17-custom kernel)
> Submission from: (NULL) (130.91.92.78)
>

> I had trouble installing R packages, either from inside R or from the
> commandline, with R complaining about not finding /usr/bin/pwd
> I have pwd in /bin/ so I created a symlink from /usr/bin/pwd to /bin/pwd and now
> I can install packages. I do not know where the original problem is however.

Please don't report it as a bug then! Or at least do more of your
homework first.

As far as I can see, this is handled by the configure script which goes
looking for pwd and records the result in $GETWD (in Makeconf and the
INSTALL and REMOVE scripts). If you compile on one system and run on
another, strange things can and will happen if they do not have things
in the same places.  There are a few other places where pwd is called
directly (texi2dvi and libtool) but I don't think that can give the
error message you describe.