[Rd] How to test if R is running on a Mac

Hin-Tak Leung hin-tak.leung at cimr.cam.ac.uk
Fri Sep 21 04:13:56 CEST 2007

Prof Ripley had already spoken with a better solution (Sys.info())...

The problem with system("uname") is that it depends on shell behavior
and also the availability of an external utility - 'uname' - i.e.
although it would work as intended on mac OS X, it would die on windows
due to not having 'uname' or 'uname' not working the same way... plus
the usual stdout vs console complications on windows, etc.