[Rd] R-Server remotecontrolled via browser-GUI

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Fri Sep 28 17:27:40 CEST 2007

Hi Josuah

RWebServices might be a different approach. It allows R functions and
methods to be deployed as SOAP-based web services, and relies on an
underlying Java architecture that uses JMS to separate the web services
front end from a collection of R workers (on different machines). This
seems more scalable than putting the R workers on the same machine as
the Apache server.

Entry point here:

http://bioconductor.org/packages/2.0/bioc/html/RWebServices.html

There is quite a learning curve and technology commitment associated
with this, so not the best solution for providing light-weight
web access to R.

Martin

"idontwant googeltospyafterme" <googel.vs.privacy at googlemail.com> writes:

> dear r-community,
>
> currently i have a workflow as following:
> data in online-MYSQL-database via .csv into R for analysis, results
> back to mysql.
> generating graphics for reports also.
>
> that's ok, but i need some process-optimization.
>
> i'd like to run r directly on the webserver. analysis should work
> automatically, after the appropriate r-script was selected in a
> browser-gui for R.
>
> until know after collecting some information, i think the best
> approach to reach that goal is:
> * using mod_R / RApache to run multiple instances of r on the server,
> * build a website that will serve as frontend/gui for r either with
> html/php or some ajax-framework,
> * connect R to the database with one of the available db-packages to
> fetch the survey-data
> * put the r-scripts for analysis somewhere on the server
> * use cairo for generation of the images
> * and see what happens...
>
> i would like to know, if my construction seems good to you, if you
> have other recommendations or constructive critics and what you think
> about the effort for configuring mod_R/RAPACHE, cairo and the
> db-package for r.
>
> thanks a lot in advance for your help!
>
> cheers,
>
> josuah r.