[Rd] CHAR () and Rmpi

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Sep 29 08:12:49 CEST 2007

I'm not sure what your sticking point here is.  If mpi does not modify
data in a (char *) pointer, then that really is a (const char *) pointer
and the headers are being unhelpful in not telling the compiler that
the data are constant.

If that is the case you need to use casts to (char *) and the following
private define may be useful to you:

#define CHAR_RW(x) ((char *) CHAR(x))

However, you ask

> Is there an easy way to get a char pointer to STRING_ELT((sexp_rdata),0)
> and is also backward compatible to old R versions.

and the answer is that there is no such way, since (const char *) and
(char *) are not the same thing and any package that wants to alter the
contents of a string element needs to create a new CHARSXP to be that
element.

BTW, you still have not changed Rmpi to remove the configure problems on
64-bit systems (including assuming libs are in /usr/lib not /usr/lib64) I
pointed out a long time ago.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk