[Rd] R CMD check should check date in description

Paul Gilbert pgilbert at bank-banque-canada.ca
Sat Apr 5 16:41:38 CEST 2008

Robert Gentleman wrote:

>>> That sounds like a good solution to me.
>>>
>> Ok.  However, 2.7.0 feature freeze soon ...
>>

>    Please no.  If people want one then they should add it manually. It
> is optional, and some of us have explicitly opted out and would like to
> continue to do so.
>

>>> Otherwise, maybe just a message from R CMD check?  i.e. just like
>>> failing the codetools checks, it might be perfectly ok, but you should
>>> be doing it consciously, not by mistake.
>>>
>> I am working on that, too (e.g. a simple NOTE in case the date spec
>> cannot be canonicalized, etc.).  If file time stamps were realiable, we
>> could compare these to the given date.  This is I guess all we can do
>> for e.g. CRAN's daily checking (where comparing to the date the check
>> is run is not too useful) ...
>>

>    But definitely not a warning.

Yes, please not a warning.  I think of warnings as something I should
try to fix, so they throw errors in my make system.  If I change that I
will miss all the warnings.  If something is really optional then it
should at most be flagged by NOTE.  (BTW, if you use make to control
your build it is pretty easy to put the date in automatically.)

Paul
>    Robert
>

>> Best
>> -k

La version française suit le texte anglais.