[Rd] How to create a function calling two functions with unknown number of parameters?

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Sat Apr 5 21:35:50 CEST 2008

ZT2008 wrote:

> ... can be used to represent unknown number of parameters passed into a
> function.
>
> For example, I write a function g. g calls another function f1.
>
> For example f1 could be different random number generation function.
>
> when f1=rnorm(), it has 3 parameters n, mean and standard deviation.
>
> when f1=rexp(), it has 2 parameters n and rate.
>
> g can be defined as
>
> g <- function(f1, ...) {
> 	f1(...)
> }
>
> My problem is what about g calls two functions with unknown number of
> parameters.
>
> In this case one ... doesn't help.
>
> If I define g as follows:
>
> g <- function(f1, f2, ...) {
> 	f1(...)+f2(...)
> }
>
> It seems ... is only passed to f1, it can't be passed to f2.

No, it is passed to both:

  g <- function(f1, f2, ...) {
      f1(...) + f2(...)
  }
  f1 <- function(a) print(a)
  f2 <- function(a) print(a)
  g(f1, f2, 5)

[1] 5
[1] 5
[1] 10

> Can anybody help me? Thanks!

Well, what you requested already works...

If you want to pass different arguments to f1 and f2, you might want to
specify two *lists* of arguments for f1() and f2() in g() and call f1()
and f2() by do.call() within g().

Uwe Ligges