[Rd] [R] How to improve the "OPTIM" results

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sun Apr 6 17:37:50 CEST 2008

<moved to R-devel>

      What would people suggest someone do to improve the optimization
capabilities in R?  A few ideas are mentioned below.  I just got 578
hits from RSiteSearch("optimization", "fun"), and I wonder if there's a
better way to get a reasonable overview of what's currently available in
R -- and outside R?  My initial thought was to develop an enhanced
version of 'optim' that would check for negative curvature (via
indefinite Hessians), do auto-scaling (see
http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/Rhelp02a/archive/125518.html), and output
an object of a class like 'mle' or a new class like 'optimMLE' for which
appropriate methods could be written.  I have to often encountered
problems with overparameterization, which could be fairly easily
diagnosed via a singular or indefinite hessian.  It would help me, and I
believe other users, if functions like 'optim' and 'nls' would include
simple diagnostics like this -- rather than returning a cryptic error or
warning message.

      However, the comment from Hans Borchers (below) raises a related
question:  What might be the best way to build a collaboration with
existing optimization initiatives, possibly making R a platform of
choice for making it easy for users to access and compare alternative
optimization methods?

      Thanks,
      Spencer