[Rd] [R] How to improve the "OPTIM" results

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sun Apr 6 19:29:21 CEST 2008

<in line>

Gabor Grothendieck wrote:

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Are you (used in the plural) aware of Kurt's more recent advances into
>>> OR?  There are new-ish packages RSymphony, Rglpk and other things at
>>> CRAN.
>>>
>> Not only by me: there's also Rcplex and TSP and there are at least three
>> more COIN-OR package interfaces in the pipeline.
>>

> It would be nice if there were a CRAN Task View to pull all this together.

How about R Wiki entries also?  The enormous advantage of a Wiki is that
anyone can make contributions, subject to moderation when things get
extreme.  I'd like to see copies of all the CRAN Task Views ported to
the R Wiki, with emails sent to the maintainers of all the packages
mentioned, inviting updates, comparisons, clarifications,
amplifications, etc.  Similarly, I'd like to see people posting
questions to R Wiki accompanied by a post to R-Help.  Then someone else
would edit the question with an answer.  Officially designated R Wiki
editors could notify people whose posts seem inappropriate for whatever
reason that their entries may be removed unless clarified, etc.  With
the right selection of "editors" and a little time, I think the R Wiki
could become the most valuable documentation available on R.