[Rd] Using Rtools in Unix environment

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Apr 8 19:58:35 CEST 2008

On 4/8/2008 1:44 PM, Kyeongmi Cheon wrote:
> The previous mail I wrote was bounced for some reason and I'm writing
> it again...
>

> I have used Rtools in windows to call C from R but my computer does
> not have enough memory for my current project. So I'm trying to use
> Rtools in the high performance computer at my school. The guy who
> handles the HPC says it's Unix and I have three questions:
>
> 1. I found from the web that Unix has compilers in itself. Then do I
> need to install only the rest (Perl,Microsoft's HTML Help Workshop) or
> anything else? Or no need to install anything?

You probably don't need to install anything, but that depends on how
things are installed there.  I'd just try.

HTML Help Workshop is not available on Unix, but this probably isn't an
issue:  if you're intending to use your package on Unix, you'll have no
need for it.

> 2. Should I still set the path as written in the manual for Windows?
> --no space in any file/folder names
> --the directory containing the command line tools comes first or
> second in the path

Read the instructions for Unix, not for Windows.  In particular, don't
touch the path unless your Unix sysadmin asks you to.

> 3. The person in charge of HPC says it's unix but the school web has info on it:
> pSeries cluster-Each nodes have 16 IBM Power5+ CPUs at 1.5 GHz, and 64
> GB of RAM or IBM Power5+ CPUs (1.9 GHz) and 16 GB of RAM each. All
> pSeries nodes run IBM AIX 5.3
>
> Do you think I can use my C codes and R codes I already wrote in
> windows? Or should I write my codes in unix all over? I never used
> unix before and have no idea on it. If anyone could help, I would
> appreciate that.

It depends on what you put in the files, but chances are they'll run
with no changes.

Duncan Murdoch