[Rd] Windows problem related to using shortPathName for Sweave style file

Patrick Aboyoun paboyoun at fhcrc.org
Wed Apr 9 23:08:02 CEST 2008

In the process of updating R to R 2.7 alpha or R 2.7 beta for the
BioConductor 2.2 builds on Windows, I have hit a snag because the BioC
build system has long path names (e.g. D:\biocbld\bbs-2.2-bioc\R) and
these path names are not resolving properly by MiKTeX 2.7 during
vignette construction. Take, for example, the attached vignette from
Biobase, Bioconductor.Rnw. I have built R from source at

E:\paboyoun\bbs-2.2-bioc\R

and the session information for this R is

=== BEGIN R BLOCK ===
 > sessionInfo()
R version 2.7.0 beta (2008-04-09 r45179)
i386-pc-mingw32

locale:
LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252;LC_CTYPE=English_United
States.1252;LC_MONETARY=English_United
States.1252;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=English_United States.1252

attached base packages:
=== END R BLOCK ===

Now when I run Sweave on Bioconductor.Rnw using the command

=== BEGIN OS BLOCK ===
E:\paboyoun>bbs-2.2-bioc\R\bin\R CMD Sweave Bioconductor.Rnw
Writing to file Bioconductor.tex
Processing code chunks ...
 1 : term tex

You can now run LaTeX on 'Bioconductor.tex'