[Rd] Windows problem related to using shortPathName for Sweave style file

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Apr 10 20:10:41 CEST 2008

I suggest that we try to program a solution in Sweave.  It only inserts
the path to the file is stylepath=TRUE in RweaveLatexSetup, so it seems
to be that

Sweave(stylepath=FALSE)

is all that is needed.  That seems to work, although of course obliges
people to make sure Sweave.sty is in their latex input path (and using
texi2dvi makes that rather hard).

Sweave is only used by R in three places, in
tools:::.install_package_vignettes which is only used to build the grid
vignettes, and tools::checkVignettes (used by R CMD check) and
buildVignettes (used by R CMD build), and none of which pass any arguments
to Sweave.

Here's a proposal.  Instead of making stylepath=TRUE the default, set its
default from the environment variable _SWEAVE_STYLEPATH_DEFAULT_ . Then
all Patrick needs to do is to set this to FALSE and ensure that his MiKTeX
setup has Sweave.sty in a texmf tree.

That leaves the question of what the default should be if the environment
variable is not set -- I suggest TRUE unless the path contains a space
(since it doesn't currently work if it does and so is backwards
compatible).

That seems well below the limits of what is acceptable at this point for
2.7.0, so if reaction is favourable we should go ahead.

Brian Ripley