[Rd] make check fails if called with --without-recommended-packages

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Apr 11 16:24:23 CEST 2008

It is by design.  Some tests will fail if you don't have iconv, also.

>From the manual:

   Failures are not necessarily problems as they might be caused by missing
   functionality, but you should look carefully at any reported
   discrepancies.

and that option is not even documented in the manual.

If you build without recommended packages or iconv or readline, you have
to consciously do so and hence are expected to be aware that you have
'missing functionality'.