[Rd] [rd] sage <--> r integration

Rob Goedman goedman at mac.com
Thu Apr 17 18:05:56 CEST 2008

Mike,

I'm also surprised so few reactions have been forthcoming. I saw
William's email shortly after Jan's email about Sage.

Having been involved in the Ryacas project (R to Yacas - Yet Another
Computer Algebra System - with Gabor, Soren and Ayal), I  believe in
the tremendous benefits of such an integration and have,  over the
last couple of days, been studying Sage and its notebook interface to
better understand how it could be used as an alternative/complement to
the current Mac R.app (having occasionally helped out Simon on the Mac
R GUI - R.app).

I am a firm believer in Python, and have worked on Python/
Django/"Python on Embedded systems for biometrics" for well over 2
years now. I do believe this is also a major benefit of Sage. And
projects such as Google's App Engine provide further support.

 From Willliam's email I take it the best route right now is to try to
bring this project the attention of the GSoC mentors.

Regards,
Rob