[Rd] R-extension in unix system -- help to locate header files

Kyeongmi Cheon katie.cheon at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 17:49:16 CEST 2008

Thank you for your reply. I'm really new to this unix system and let me ask
one more
time to make sure if I understand it right.

So I do it this way?
1. Change my codes to like below:
 #include <stdlib.h>
 #include <R.h>
 #include <Rdefines.h>
 #include <Rmath.h>
 #include <R_ext/Applic.h>
 #include <R_ext/PrtUtil.h>

2. and at the command line,
set path = (/gpfs/data/local/linux/R-2.6.2/lib64/R/include $path)
set path = (/gpfs/data/local/linux/R-2.6.2/lib64/R/include/R_ext $path)

Then what is about -I flags? I googled it but couldn't find anything. I
don't really
know what you meant by "The search paths ....  supplemented by -I flags on
the command
line". How do I use it? Like this?
set path = (/gpfs/data/local/linux/R-2.6.2/lib64/R/include $path) -I

Thank you so much.
Kyeongmi Cheon

University of memphis

You should never give full paths in #include statements.

The search paths for include ('header') files are set by the compiler and
supplemented by -I flags on the command line.  If your C compiler is
unable to find <stdlib.h> something is badly wrong, and you need to ask
your 'unix' advisor for help.  (BTW, these header files are OS-specific,
and some of them will be compiler-specific -- on my Solaris Unix box cc
and gcc use different versions of some of these headers.)

-----
Kyeongmi,

University of Memphis